For the fourth year, McDonald’s will be the official coffee of the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) and continue to build excitement and engagement among movie-lovers with McCafé coffee. In celebration of the organization’s 40th anniversary, McDonald’s is partnering with Shazam, the popular app known for identifying music, on an innovative concept designed to promote its signature Coffee.
• Shazam recently launched a new image recognition option, and this is a first of its kind initiative with a QSR in Canada. This will create a clever and whimsical connection for all movie lovers with McCafé coffee.
• McDonald’s and creative agency, Cossette, have created fun and funny parodies of memorable scenes from five classic movies using coffee beans as characters.
• These “bean scenes” will be advertised on McCafé coffee sleeves with an invisible watermark created by Shazam.
• When the coffee sleeve is scanned using a smartphone, it will link consumers to all five movie scenes on the landing page, mccafecinema.com Consumers will also be able to share these movies on their social networks.
• Each movie title has a playful twist: Beanheart (Braveheart); Lawrence of Arabica (Lawrence of Arabia); The Grinding (The Shining); The Good, the Bad and the Brewed (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly); Donnie Darkroast (Donnie Darko).
• The movie scenes range from 30 – 60 seconds in length.
• The promotion will begin on TIFF’s opening night, September 10, 2015.
• Complimentary McCafé Premium Roast Brewed Coffee and Premium Teas will be served with the TIFF coffee sleeve from the McCafé Coffee Sampling Vehicle. The vehicle will be located across from the Princess of Wales theatre from September 10 – 20, 2015.
• This TIFF sleeve will also be available at McDonald’s locations in the Greater Toronto Area during TIFF’s opening weekend. The sleeves will continue to be be available at downtown Toronto locations for the duration of the festival.